Star Wars is a long-running science fiction and space opera franchise created by George Lucas. The franchise began in 1977 with the release of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, and it continued with Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi in 1980 and 1983, respectively. In 1999, the film saga continued with the first film in the prequel trilogy, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. 2002 saw the release of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was released in 2005. In 2008, Star Wars: The Clone Wars premiered on Cartoon Network and ran for five seasons. An entire Expanded Universe of books, comics, games, and more has also been released since 1978.
In 2012, it was announced that The Walt Disney Company had purchased Lucasfilm Ltd. and, with it, the rights to Star Wars. Along with that announcement came word that Disney would be producing a sequel trilogy, beginning with Star Wars Episode VII for a projected release in 2015. Disney also announced that it would be producing spinoff films, and there are a number of rumors as to what those films will focus on. There are a number of television projects that could also be part of the future of the franchise.
- Spinoff films
- Star Wars Rebels
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- George Lucas—creator of Star Wars, wrote the story treatment for the sequel trilogy
- Kathleen Kennedy—President of Lucasfilm and producer of the sequel trilogy
- J.J. Abrams—director of Star Wars Episode VII
- Michael Arndt—writer of Star Wars Episode VII
- Lawrence Kasdan—writer of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, consultant on the sequel trilogy, spinoff film writer
- Simon Kinberg—spinoff film writer
- Mark Hamill—portrayed Luke Skywalker, rumored to be returning for Star Wars Episode VII
- Carrie Fisher—portrayed Princess Leia, rumored to be returning for Star Wars Episode VII
- Harrison Ford—portrayed Han Solo, rumored to be returning for Star Wars Episode VII
- Billy Dee Williams—portrayed Lando Calrissian, rumored to be returning for Star Wars Episode VII
- Expanded Universe—what is its fate in the Disney era?
- Fan projects—fan fiction, fan films, and more expand the saga, one fan idea at a time