|Star Wars: The Clone Wars|
|No. of episodes||
22 BBY—19 BBY
November 7, 2003
March 25, 2005
- "Like fire across the galaxy, the Clone Wars spread. In league with the wicked Count Dooku more and more planets slip. Against this threat, upon the Jedi Knights falls the duty to lead the newly formed army of the Republic. And as the heat of war grows, so too grows the prowess of one most gifted student of the Force."
- ―Yoda's introductory narration[src]
In the early 2000s, Hasbro asked Lucasfilm to develop something between prequel films, which they hoped would boost action figure sales and help promote the upcoming Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Cartoon Network—who had previously worked with Hasbro on their Transformers series—suggested Genndy Tartakovsky, who was finishing work on the animated series Samurai Jack. Lucasfilm met with Tartakovsky, who agreed to the project if the shorts could be extended from the original proposed 1-minute runtime up to 3-to-5 minutes.
Tartakovsky pitched the show as having "a Band of Brothers-feel to it—where it's episodes of different battles and strategies during the Clone Wars." After Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network approved the idea, Tartakovsky produced twenty 3-minute episodes. The series was produced using mostly traditional animation techniques. For example, Tartakovsky animated C-3PO's eyes in a way that pays homage to the animation style of Nelvana, who produced the Droids and Ewoks series and The Star Wars Holiday Special's animated segment—all of which he had grown up with.
The series's success led to the greenlight of a third season consisting of five 12- to 15-minute episodes. Cartoon Network held a poll to determine which of three new Jedi should be introduced in the series. The three choices were Roron Corobb, Voolvif Monn, and Foul Moudama. Voolvif Monn won the vote and was introduced in "Chapter 20." The other two Jedi were later introduced anyway, both of whom played parts larger than Monn's.
- Anakin Skywalker (Mat Lucas)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi, Agen Kolar (James Arnold Taylor)
- Yoda (Tom Kane)
- Mace Windu, Saesee Tinn (Terrence "T.C." Carson)
- C-3PO (Anthony Daniels)
- Count Dooku, San Hill (Corey Burton)
- Asajj Ventress, Padme Amidala, Adi Gallia, Shaak Ti (Grey DeLisle)
- Palpatine/Darth Sidious, Techno Union Scientist (Nick Jameson)
- Clone troopers, Battle droids, Captain Typho (André Sogliuzzo)
- General Grievous, Sha'a Gi (John DiMaggio (Seasons 2))
- Kit Fisto, General Grievous (Richard McGonagle (Season 3))
- Ki-Adi-Mundi, Durge, Master Barrek, Even Piell, Tarr Seirr (Daran Norris)
- Luminara Unduli (Cree Summer)
- Qui-Gon Jinn, Oppo Rancisis (Fred Tatasciore)
- K’Kruhk (Kevin Michael Richardson)
- Barriss Offee (Tatyana Yassukovich)
- Young Anakin Skywalker (Frankie Ryan Manriquez)